Georgia Avenue Food Cooperative
Brand new Co-op #7 launches in partnership with FCS Urban Ministries
Feb. 20th saw the launch of our most recent food co-op. Thirteen families picked up LOADS of food. It was so much fun! Some of the food is evident top picture; below, on the right Ella Duffy Haynes (left) and Shae Bigsby are pictured. Shae is the new coordinator of the co-op, and Ella, who is GACM’s Director of Food Co-ops, is coaching Shae so that eventually she will be leading the new co-op on her own and working hand in hand with the co-op members.
FOX 5 ATLANTA recently produced a short TV piece about our food cooperatives for their news. Here is the link http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/video?clipId=8976624&autostart=true We are grateful to Mr. Kevin Stewart of Fox 5 for his good work. (forgive the pre-show ad--we don’t control that!)
Food Co-ops for low-income families:
- -food with DIGNITY--our co-op members contribute to the well-being of the co-ops so that they have a sense of dignity and ownership
- -a co-op creates COMMUNITY--you are not alone!
- -a food co-op provides FOOD SECURITY so that our members are not worrying about whether they will be eating at the end of each month!
- -our co-ops FIGHT HOMELESSNESS by providing so much food that money is freed to pay other bills!
- -our co-ops TRANSFORM LIVES: members have stopped drinking, members have reported becoming better parents--just because they BELONG!
- -FAITH IS STRENGTHENED for those who have a belief in God, because we develop these co-ops in the name of Jesus (but we will serve anyone in need, regardless of religion).
- -our food co-ops provide a means of EDUCATION AND LEADERSHIP TRAINING
- -our MEMBERS’ ABILITIES AND TALENTS make the co-op run smoothly.
Come and See our food co-ops in action. Every Tuesday morning and Thursday morning and afternoon our members meet together. You are welcome to join us. Contact us ahead at 404-688-0871 or email Chad Hale at email@example.com.